Friday, July 20, 2007

Dusty Baker Recalls Hank Aaron HR Record

As it becomes increasingly likely Barry will pass Hank - I thought I would post Dusty Baker's recollection of the event of Hank breaking the Babe's record. Hank Aaron's consistency helped him to establish a number of important hitting records during his 23-year career. In addition to the home run record, Aaron holds the MLB records for the the most career runs batted in (2,297), the most career extra base hits (1,477); and the most career total bases (6,856). He is also in the top five for career hits (third behind Rose and Cobb) and runs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hank Aaron in my opinion is behind Mays and Ruth for best all time. Bonds is obviously in the mix, but he has tainted everything. If he never took the "stuff" he would have still had 500 HR and 500 SB and been an amazing player. Now, it is just a joke.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait until all of this is over. Just break the record and get out of my life. Bonds is one of the greatest of all-time, I grudgingly admit, but yeah, without the enhancements, would he have been this great? Maybe not. Regardless, I love how he has lightened his mood as he approaches the record, you know, becomes a friendlier guy as he faces history. I believe it was Sunday, at the end of his 0 for 20something streak where he told reporters to get lost when they wanted to talk to him after the game. Good or bad, the guy is about to break one of the most hallowed records in sports. You would think he would start showing the people who give him all of the coverage some respect. As well as showing, indirectly, the fans of the game some respect. Doesn't he owe us that? I can't wait until he starts actually opening up to people (and therefore the game) next year when he is begging for a job as a DH to get his 3,000 hit. I am not sure anyone wants to touch this circus next year, since the HR record chase will be over. I could go on, as Kid Radical knows well...but what is the point?