Friday, October 12, 2007

Al Gore is Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for His Work on Climate Change

Al Gore is the co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. Early this morning, former Vice President Al Gore and the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change were named co-winners of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Friday “for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledgeabout man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.”


I am deeply honored to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. This award is even more meaningful because I have the honor of sharing it with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change–the world’s pre-eminent scientific body devoted to improving our understanding of the climate crisis–a group whose members have worked tirelessly and selflessly for many years. We face a true planetary emergency. The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity. It is also our greatest opportunity to lift global consciousness to a higher level.


My wife, Tipper, and I will donate 100 percent of the proceeds of the award to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a bipartisan non-profit organization that is devoted to changing public opinion in the U.S. and around the world about the urgency of solving the climate crisis.

4 comments:

LadyLiberal said...

WOO-HOO!!!

magda flores said...

This is very exciting. I also like that it comes on the heels of the UK judge ruling that there were only 9 things that are iffy in the film. 9 out of I don't know how many facts, seems like a great endorsement to me! Although I fear the right will use this as more fuel to their reactionary fire, I think it's great for the movement. It shows that there truly is scientific consensus on this issue.

Yay Gore & IPCC!

R. Monk said...

I think I may have mentioned this before, but right-wing climate skeptics (their forebears, I think, were the people who also thought Copernicus heliocentric theories were off the mark) actually sell carbon debits which you can memorialize your purchase with a t-shirt that reads "my carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint". Right-wingers amaze me, sometimes, with their childlike petulance. I swear, if a lib told them that drinking sewer water was bad, would they eat a piece of shit just for spite?

Anonymous said...

Have you all heard about on the drudge report that I certainly do not go on...but on Rawstory it is reporting that above the caption for Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize - an ad for clean coal is presented.

So, to answer R. Thelonious question, they would most certainly eat a piece of shit if we told them drinking sewer water was bad for them.

Start the ad campaign now!