Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Helen Cantrell: Jersey City Painter


In October I had a chance to walk around the Jersey City Artist Studio Tour and came across Helen Cantrell's work. To the left is one of her oil paintings titled, "Jersey City Snow". I love the painterly quality and "Bridgeport Yellow Sky" is one of my favorites.

Helen was born in Chicago, Illinois, March 1947 and has lived on East Coast for past 30 years. Besides printmaking and painting, she enjoys gardening, her two cats, and is a huge “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” fan. She admires “abstract expressionist” painters like Willem de Kooning and more “realist” modern art like Richard Diebenkorn.

You can learn more about Helen here and here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i love 2 kids and a dog...

lovely post infemity!

Anonymous said...

truly a beautiful painting, Diebenkorn, a favorite artist of mine as well, i think would really appreciate a landscape very different then the california landscapes. it reminds me of another abstract artist besides de Kooning, nicolas de stael. beautiful rendering of a time of year in NJ when everything takes on a feel of somewhere different, otherworldly yet still jersey city.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I found this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Play Ps3 tournaments for cash[/url]
They say you can play online Nhl2k game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Very fascinating info. I sent it to a couple of friends already! I even wish to advertise here... My site is covering NBA live tournaments. Pls feel free to email me at: editor@xboxformoney.com